PREMIERES S - DON'T SEND ME BACK
DON'T SEND ME BACK
1. BEFORE READING THE TEXT.
Use the paratext and write a short introduction to the text.
2. VOCABULARY = find the Englih equivalents in the text.
100 years :
a group of person :
to have problems to walk correctly :
a bit / a little :
you do it when you're scared or when it's very hot :
you can get one if you're hurt :
useful for a gun :
to be cured :
to hurt :
to be examined :
to take off :
to look fixedly :
3. DETAILED COMPREHENSION. Answer the following questions about Part 1 (from line 1 down to line 17).
* Who can be part of the inspection team ? What does the inspection team notice about Jacob?
* Why does Jacob begin to sweat?
* What happened to Jacob? Try to account for / explain the origin of his wound.
* What is a Cossack?
* Remember what you know about Ellis Island and explain why the man marks something on Jacob's coat ? Imagine what is going to happen to him next.
* Apart from his leg, what does the man check about Jacob and why?
* What are Jacob's feelings in this first part ? Why ?
* "Now he was a wreck", explain this sentence.
* "Oh God, he thought, don't send me back please". Why is this sentence written in italics ?