BACCALAUREAT BLANC STI - CORRECTION
A. Choose the correct answer and quote two elements from the text to justify your answer.
The scene takes place.... 2. In a police station
B. Complete the sentences by using the following expressions.
Victim n°1 – a bike messenger – a man in a suit – a copper – victim n°2 – the narrator
Paul Kamsky is a copper and a man in suit.
Miss Bell is the narrator and a bike messenger.
Ingrid de Soto is victim n°2
Margaret Farrell is victim n°1
C. Use the list below to say
1. who is present at the interview : Paul Kamsky and Miss Bell.
2. who is just mentioned during the interview : Margaret Farrell and Ingrid de Soto.
3. who is present in the rest of the text : A WPC and two officers.
D. Say what the underlined words refer to.
1. it would be brought (line2) = the messenger's bike
2. I’m recognizing it (line 31) = the oddity of the situation
3. that’s what I was trying to say (line 33) = " I was the witness, not the victim"
4. Well, there’s one (line 43) = a connection
E. Right or wrong? Answer and justify by quoting from the text. Give the line numbers.
1. The narrator has never been to a police station.
Wrong (l.1) "I was becoming an expert on police interviews rooms"
2. The inspector and the narrator have never met before.
Right (l.13-14) "I'm Detective Chief Inspector Paul Kamsky"
3. The Chief Inspector did not want to leave the case to another detective.
Right (l.18) " as soon as I heard, I had to come and talk to you myself"
4. Paul Kamsky is an experienced policeman.
Right (l.38-39) " I've been a copper for twenty-eight years"
5. The interview is going to be short.
Right (l.44) " I'm just here to ask a couple of simple
F. Find the adjective which best describes the narrator and justify your answer with two quotes from the text.
Shocked : "I'm a bit shaken by it" (l.29) -"it's a horrible, horrible coincidence" (l.34)
G. Find three quotes from the text showing that the Inspector thinks the narrator could be the murderer.
l.27-18 "I wondered if you had any comment to make"
l.39-40 "The only time I've ever found someone on two mouder scenes within a couple of month is because they were the murdere"
l.42-43 " I'm afraid we're going to ask you to be here for a while"
l.48-50 "Well, there's one...you"
CETTE QUESTION SERA TRAITEE UNIQUEMENT PAR LES CANDIDATS DES SERIES STI – STL
H. Find in the text the equivalents of these words or expressions (in the order of the text).
1. regained self-control = pulled myself together
2. declaration = statement
3. perplexed = baffled
4. strangeness = oddity