BAC BLANC STI LV1 CORRECTION
Remarques préliminaires :
- il ne fallait pas répondre sur le sujet...toutes les réponses devaient être reportées sur la copie.
- quand vous citez le texte, limitez-vous aux élements pertinents et illustrant votre réponse. Il faut également mentionner la / les ligne(s).
- pour l'expression écrite, il fallait rédiger 200 mots ( à +/- 10% près pour être noté sur 8 points...si vous rédigiez 100 mots, cous étiez notés sur 4 points !!!)
I - GENERAL COMPREHENSION.
A. Copy and complete the following summary with words from the text.
The main character whose name is Dominick D'Angelo migrated from Sicily to New York when he was fourteen. After working hard, he became a shoemaker / shoerepairer. Every Sunday, after church / tidying his apartment, he went shopping and one day, a girl smiled at / lokked at him.
B. Choose the correct answer?
1. The scene is set in the early twentieth century
2. When he arrived, he knew he would never go back home
II. DETAILED COMPREHENSION
A. Right or Wrong ? Justify all your answers with a quotation from the text.
1. Wrong. Line 2 and 3, "he had the address of an uncle"
2. Right. Line 11, "he lived near starvation"
3. Wrong. Line 11, "working at any job that required a strong back" or lie 11/12 "he could lift and carry"
4. Right. Line 12/13, "for seven years, he saved every single dollar he could"
5. Wrong. Line 19, "after tidying the small apartment at the back of his shop"
6. Right. Line 27/28. "Dom edged closer to the men who spoke Italian, listen to their accents until he felt comfortable. Sounds of home."
B. Choose the four adjectives whoch best apply to the main chararcter.
timid - honest - religious - hardworking
C. Pick out the sentences showing that...
1. Once in America he did not want to be helped : line 7 "he would take no charity"
2. He didn't often buy meat : line 22 "Although he rarely bought anything but vegetables and fruit"
3. He enjoyed going to the market : line 22 /23 Dom D'Angelo liked to wander about, just looking
4. Angela was not indifferent to him (2 sentences) : line 32/34/35 " she smiled at him...she was aware of him. She remembered him. She had noticed him."
D. In the text, find equivalents of the following words or expressions.
too big: off-size
got nearer : edged
conscious: aware of